"Our life is one open book full of pages. We laugh, we cry, we smile, we stumble, we stand, we fall, and we succeed. Every chapter defines who we really are."


I only got through generation 1 and part of 2. For the rest, check out my tumblr.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Chapter 06: Bad News

NOTE

So, I know I've been really indecisive, but I've decided to continue this legacy.  I'm going to try to finish Generation 2 before I have to leave for college in August because when that time comes, I won't be able to play Sims (I can't bring my desktop to college).   :(

Also, ignore the fact that the Dhavals are wearing the same clothing as they did the night before.  I forgot to change their clothing and was too lazy to retake all of the pictures.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

I wake up with a sore neck and am confused as to wear I am.  The entire room is a soft green color and the sheets are white and poofy.  Definitely not my bland sheets from home.  I look down and see I'm wearing a top that is unfamiliar to me.

The realization of my job hits me.  Oh God, it wasn't a dream.  I look over to my right and see a dark green shirt and pants hanging on the closet door.  I'm a housekeeper?  Is this legit?

Mrs. Dhaval knocks on my door and asks how I'm doing.  After I tell her I'm good, she asks me if I could please get breakfast ready and that she'd like some coffee and toast.

Crap.  I hardly know how to cook toast, let alone a fancy meal.  I slip on the outfit and head toward my phone.  I'll call Rusty.

"Hello?"

"Rusty, it's Calla."

"By golly you're alive.  You put yourself in quite the position."

"Yes…," I grimace.  "I don't understand how I could have made that mistake.  I really don't.  Am I fired?  Have you heard anything?"


"I… I don't know.  But trust me, I'll do everything I can to help.  Let me know where  you are and we can start by getting you home."

"Sorry, but I don't really know where I am."

"That's okay.  I suppose it wouldn't do any good for you to come here anyway.  I'll sort everything out, you just stay put."

"Oh thank you, Rusty.  You're the best.  Just, uh, keep my updated."

"Sure, no problem."

I slip out of my room and into the kitchen.  Where’s the fricken' toaster?

I finally find it hidden in a small cupboard and pull it out.  It takes me even longer to find the bread. 

Mrs. Dhaval hollers from the other room, "Actually, we’re just like a light coffee please, Calla." It takes me almost 20 minutes to get the coffee machine working.  Then I bring it out two mugs to the Dhavals.

"Thank you, that’ll be all for now."

I nod and automatically bob a curtsy.  Mrs. Dhaval stares at me strangely.  Damn, what did I do that for?

"I'm sorry, it won’t happen aga-"

"No, I like it.  You are allowed to curtsy."

Damn.  Damn.  Damn.  Why did I do that?  Oh well, I just have to survive, at most, today.  I shuffle my way back to my room.  After thirty minutes, I hear Myrtle’s voice calling my name.  I walk hurriedly toward her.

"Yes, Mrs. Dhaval."

"Please don't disappear like that."

"Yes ma'am."

"Would you follow me?  I'd like to show you how I'd like the dining room dusted."

We spend about ten minutes in the dining room as Myrtle explains all of the things she wants dusted.  I feel helpless but after today, I can return to Bridgeport, and leave this place forever.

By lunchtime I've done almost nothing.  I've wiped down the instruments with a tissue and finally figured out how to start the dishwasher.  I'm now attempting to cut some cheese for macaroni and cheese but it's not a success.  


I want to scream in frustration but I manage to hold my feelings in.  To solve the issue, I call the caterers and order macaroni and cheese for two.  Then I lean against the counter and pour myself a glass for the Dhaval's fancy wine. 

I hear the front door open and I feel as though I’m being watched….

I turn around a standing at the door frame is a tall man with bright pink hair and the largest muscles I've ever seen.

"Hi, are you the new housekeeper?  I’m Champagne Beryle, but you can call me Champ," he introduces himself, holding out his hand.  

I take it and shake it slowly.  His hands are very rough and his hand practically engulfs mine.  



"I don't know if the Dhavals told you but I work outside, in the garden.  I just came to ask you what plants you’d like me to plant for you cooking.  Anything work as long as it's in season."

My jaw wants to drop open.  I don’t know any plants.

"So, how about some herbs.  I have the usual, thyme, rosemary, dill…." He starts naming off many plants that I'm very unfamiliar with. 

"Um, sure.  Could I just have one of each?"

He gives me a weird look but, to my relief, he shrugs his shoulders and says sure.

"Oh good," Myrtle exclaims, "You've met Champagne."  Champ blushes.  "Now, we'd like our macaroni and cheese in twenty minutes, please." 

"Yes, Mrs. Dhaval," I say and then bob a curtsy.

"You curtsy?"  Champ asks astounded.

"Your name's Champagne."

"Touché."

"Well, I’d better get to work."

"I should go to the garden.  Uh, good luck with the… lunch."

"And good luck with your garden," I reciprocate as he leaves for the door.  

I hear a rap at the front door.  "Hi, did you order mac and cheese for twenty?"

Thank God.  Wait, what?  Twenty?  Bowls and bowls pile onto the Dhaval's counters.

"I'm sorry about the order, it's just that we don't usually get orders for only two people," the delivery girl tells me.

"It's okay, just add it to my bill," I assure her and then push her out the door before the Dhavals and Champ can see.


"Wow, Calla.  I'm very impressed," Myrtle says as she looks at the bowls covering her countertops. 

"Champagne, you must try some of this macaroni and cheese," Myrtle urges after she takes a bite.


Champ comes in and takes a bowl.  "You made this?"  He asks sarcastically.  "That didn't take you very long."

I can tell by the tone of his voice that he knows something's up.

Later that afternoon, Blake calls. 

"Calla!  You need to come back.  For Christ’s sake do you know what it’s like over here?  There are rumors that you've left the country.  Do you have any idea how this looks for Gainsboro?"

"I’m sorry.  Look, just tell them I’ll be coming."

"Actually, it might be too late.”

I'm startled.  "What?" I ask.

"Well," Blake starts to say stretching the word out uncomfortable, "People are starting to say you’re unreliable now that you've made errors."

"Errors?  I've never made any errors.  I’m a good lawyer.  A really good lawyer!  I’m reliable, you know that, Blake.  You even said I never made mistakes."

"Calla, please calm down."

"Calm down?!  How can I calm down.  Gainsboro is my life.  Being a lawyer is my life.  In fact, I'm going to leave right now."  I hang up on him and start to write a note to the Dhavals.  


Dear Mr. And Mrs. Dhaval, I'm sorry but I must resign as housekeeper.  I've enjoyed my time here but I feel like I would like a new challenge.  Thank you for your kindness, Calla Cohen.

I walk downstairs to deposit the message when my phone rings again.  And this time, it’s not Blake.  It's Kar.

"Calla!  It's Krystal Kar," She barks.  "I’m just calling to tell you that, although you've been a fabulous lawyer at Gainsboro…."

NO NO NO.  This cannot be happening.

"… I'm afraid your contract with us has been terminated."

"No, it can’t be.  Please, I'll do anything I can to fix-."

"I'm sorry.  Lawyers don't make or run from their mistakes.  I'm sorry, good-bye Ms. Cohen."

The line is dead and I’m standing and on the verge of tears.  I can't go home now. 

Myrtle comes rushing in through the front door.  When she sees me in the kitchen a look of worry comes over here.  "Calla, dear, what's wrong?  You look sick.  Here, let me get you some aspirin and a glass of water.  And please, seat yourself."

"Thank you, you’re very kind."

Myrtle leaves and comes back a moment later.  "Alright, now I've purchased the ingredients for dinner tonight.  Stuffed turkey and that delicious Potato and Truffle Torte you mentioned.  We'll eat at eight."


Gobsmacked, I nod silently and she smiles and leaves me in the kitchen with the ingredients that I somehow need to make into an edible meal.

Scratch that, multiple edible meals.

How am I going to work my way out of this one?

6 comments:

  1. Oh god, just like your worst nightmare come to life! I feel sorta sorry for Calla!
    But hey, Champ's quite a looker ;)
    Hopefully she'll work her way out of this one ;D

    ~ Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. *dies* Champagne! Poor Calla. I feel bad for her. Amazing chapter Molly!

    ~Zoe~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Champagne is good looking. I feel bad for Calla. She needs to get a better life but at least it not as bad. I'm sure she will get better in cooking. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No no no no no! Poor Calla, loosing her dream job like that, and she was so committed to it! Damn Kar!

    Great chapter, Calista!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Danielle - Lol, he is. ;)

    @Zoe - Thank you! ^_^

    @Baker - I suppose her life could be worse. She's very lucky to have found the Dhavals.

    @Entelligent - Oh, I know right? >.<

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hatrid for Kar is growing stronger and stronger. But, I do like Champagne... hopefully Calla will run away, taking him with her! :D Great chapter! <3

    ~Heather/Payton Bear ^_^

    ReplyDelete