"Our life is one open book full of pages. We laugh, we cry, we smile, we stumble, we stand, we fall, and we succeed. Every chapter defines who we really are."


I only got through generation 1 and part of 2. For the rest, check out my tumblr.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Generation 02: Chapter 18: Second Thoughts

"At what cost?" Champ finally asks.

"What?"

"You've changed since you got here.  Before you arrived, you were tired and pale as a ghost.  Now you're healthy, glowing, carefree..." he trails off.

"Well, yes, I've relaxed.  But this has been a vacation and now I need to go back to real life."

"They don't care about you, Calla, don't you see that?"

"Well, at least I'm trying something new."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You still live in the town you grew up in!  You run your family business even though you hate it and you won't even try to do something you truly love!  You're... you're old fashioned.  You haven't changed a bit!"

Champ backs away and a look of hurt fills in his eyes.

"You're right," he admits.  His words surprise me.  "I should do something more than what I've done.  I was looking at a property a few hours away but I decided not to look into it.  I didn't 'want to be away from you.  I suppose I am pretty narrow-minded."

"Champ, I... I really have to return.  But we'll still have the holidays.  You won't even realize I'm gone.

Blake comes out from the Dhaval's restroom.  "No you won't," he quips.  "You're going all the way to Shang Simla for a business trip right when we get home tonight and next week you'll be going to Al Simhara."

"I was kind of hoping my weekends could stay free..."

"Not anymore.  I thought you knew.  You've had your vacation.  Now it's time for work.  At this rate you'll probably be free around Christmas."

"Christmas?" Champ breathes.

"No!  I'll find time.  I swear, Champ, I'll find time."

"Don't turn it into a duty," he flinches.

"A duty?  No, I meant... well you know what I meant!"

"Look you should probably go now, Calla.  So I'll see you around?"

"Champ, just tell me, what did you say to me at the property?"

"It was nothing.  Just long and boring.  And badly put," he adds, his face tense.

"Calla, you should pack.  We need to go soon if we want to make it back in time," Blake glances at his watch.

"I'll just go and get out of your way." Champ says solemnly.

I want to stay and continue to convince Champ that everything will be alright, but Blake taps at his watch and says that we don't have much time until the train leaves for Bridgeport.

I walk upstairs to pack my bags.  Thoughts about Champ and my decision whirl in my mind as I also pay attention to my packing and to the voices downstairs.  There are harsh tones and I pack quickly, so I can go check it out.

By the time I manage to pack all my belongings and haul my suitcase down the stairs, the door slams and Blake is standing alone in the entry on his phone.

"What happened?  What did you say to Champ?" I demand.

"I told him the flat truth.  You won't be coming back.  He'd be an embarrassment to you hanging around all the time.  I mean, can you imagine him in the office?  He'd stick out like-"

"An embarrassment?" I trill.  "No, you're the embarrassment!"  And before I know it, I slap Blake right in those gorgeous cheekbones of his.  "You're worth nothing compared to him." I hiss in his face.

"What the fuck?" is all he can say.  I walk off just as Blake manages to say "meet me at the train station at 10."

I head to the bar.  There's still time until the train leaves.  If I'm not going to be seeing him for a while, I need a proper good-bye.  I need to tell Champ that I love him and that he's more important than my job.  We have to end on a good note.

Champ is not there, but Antares is.  "He told me to give you this," he tells me as he hands me a small piece of paper.

Calla,
I think we both know this is the end of the line.  Let's quit while we're ahead.  Just know that this summer was perfect.
C

A tear smudges the "C" and my heart breaks inside.  He's just leaving me like that?  I guess I knew this would happen.  I just didn't want to believe it.

I stand there for a while and then realize it's nearly 10.  I run to the train station and Blake is waiting there impatiently tapping on his phone.  As always.  As we head into the station, Blake hands me a large envelope.

"Kar would like you to get these done by tomorrow please."

There's a big brown stain on the front, unusual compared to Kar's usual neat and organized ways.

"Wow, a stain?!" I laugh.

Blake looks up from his phone confused.  "What?"

He wasn't even listening.  Annoyed, I don't bother to repeat myself, knowing he probably won't get the sarcasm anyway.

The train comes and Blake gets on.  I see a bunch of other partners heading the Bridgeport, all staring at their screens.  That's when I realize for a second time that I don't want to be a lawyer.  I now realize how Champ must see me and I know that it's not right.  I don't want to be a drone.  I'm partner and they're already piling work on me, just as they have always done.  They don't value me at all.  Champ was right, why didn't I listen?

"I'm sorry, I can't do this." I tell Blake.

"Shit, Calla, not this again. Come on, the train is about to leave."

"No, this is for real.  I'm leaving.  Tell Kar hello for me!" And I run up and out of the station before Blake can stop me.

My heart is pounding as I run back to the bar.  "Antares, where is Champ?"

"Uh, he mentioned something about going to Bridgeport tomorrow.  I think he's packing."

Bridgeport?  "Thanks!" I yell as I head over to Champ's house.  I catch him just as he's about to get into his truck.

"Champ!"

"Calla?"

I run over to him.

"Antares gave me your letter.  Why are you going to Bridgeport?"

"To see you," he replies, flinching.  "Where are your friends?"

"There's not my friends.  You were right, they don't care about me.  Not one bit.  I hit Blake," I add.  Champ stifles a chuckle.  I continue.  "I... I quit.  For good.  There's no going back there."  I take out my train ticket and rip it up.

Champ slowly takes some papers out of his pocket and starts to rip those as well.

"What's that?"

"Oh, just a long letter.  It's very boring.  And badly put," he starts to grin.  I start to smile back at him.  It's nice to see him happy again.

He slowly wraps his arms around my waist and I accept it.

"So," I say.

"So," he repeats.  "Now what?  Where do we go?  What do we do?"

I feel so comfortable in his grasp.  This is where I belong.  Not in an office, not with boring workaholics, but here, in this beautiful, peaceful town of Winchester.  I have all the time in the world, I can do anything, be anything....

"There's really no rush," I finally say, pulling Champ down for a kiss.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

So, in the book, the ending is a bit different but I had to change it because I couldn't really do some of the things that happen in the book in Sims.  I mean, I probably could have but I was feeling lazy while taking pictures.  

Anyway, this is the end of the book, The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella!  WOO!  Now I will post a couple chapters (including a wedding!) and then I will post photos that I took while playing this legacy for fun, as opposed to the photos on this blog which are planned out and staged.

The reason I am doing this is because I've come to realize that for such a long time with this legacy and with the 100 Baby Challenge, I was just planning out everything and it wasn't fun because I wasn't even playing the game.  I've read a few legacies where people just play the game for fun and take pictures randomly and I really really like that idea a lot more.

I hope you enjoyed my book idea for this legacy, even thought it barely lasted one generation.  :P  Thank you so much for reading and I hope you check out my tumblr where I will continue this legacy.

2 comments:

  1. :'D The past few chapters have been amazing!
    I thought the book idea was great! Now I want to read the book, from what you've done with it in Sims, it sounds fantastic!

    I too find it hard to have fun sometimes when all I'm doing is planning things out, making sure the pictures turn out good, etc. and I'm just barely done with a third of my baby challenge, yikes!

    Well, I'll be looking forward to the next chapters and then what comes our way afterwards,
    Good luck! :)

    -Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete