"Our life is one open book full of pages. We laugh, we cry, we smile, we stumble, we stand, we fall, and we succeed. Every chapter defines who we really are."


I only got through generation 1 and part of 2. For the rest, check out my tumblr.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Generation 02, Chapter 12: Blame it on the Hormones

The next morning, I try to sleep in until at least 8:00 but at 7:15 I'm wide awake and actually excited to start another cooking lesson with Rina.  I decide to spend my Saturday morning perusing the Gainsboro website.  There's a rumor that when you're fired, they delete everything you were ever associate with and make it seem like you never existed.  Which obviously can't be true.  It's not like they'd delete-

Oh. My. God.

They didn't.

Anger and annoyance and frustration build up inside of me.  I look through articles about deals that I know I was part of and my name isn't there. Someone has literally taken all the time to go through everything and has deleted my name.  The rumors are true.

I quickly close the browser window and head over to Champ's house.  Hopefully I can just forget about it.  I shouldn't care.  It shouldn't bother me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Rina greets me at the door.

"Calla!  Hello!  Come in, come in.  We're going to make pie today."

"Splendid," I saw unexcitedly.  My mind is preoccupied with the events of this morning, despite my optimism of thinking I'd be able to forget.  I was a good lawyer.

"Something wrong, sweetie?  You look startled."

"No, I'm fine," I lie.

Rina teaches me how to mix the ingredients for the pie crust and filling.  Now we are forming the crust to fit the pie plate.

"What's the point?  I mean, what am I doing?  All I'm doing is making a pie that's just going to get eaten.  There's no point to it."

"Most food is like that, as well as life itself," Rina points out gently.

"You're right, it is," I saw, trying to figure out why the hell I'm trying to argue with Rina.  What's wrong with me today?  I'm like a rebellious teenager.

"That's enough, now we wait."

"Wait?  For what?" I demand.

"For the pie to bake," Rina responds calmly as she pours in the filling.

"Oh."

We walk outside so Rina can feed the chickens.

"I'm sorry, I can't do this.  Any of this."

"What do you mean, Calla?"

"It's a waste of time.  All of this is.  I should be doing something productive.  Something more constructive and important."

"Calla, please don't leave.  I know you've been through a... trauma.  And I know it has affected you but please, you're being rash.  Just stay.  Wait for the pie," Rina says patiently.

"You don't understand.  My life is... I don't know what I'm doing.  My life is a dead end right now.  I need to find answers.  I need to find out who I really am because honestly, I have no idea right now.  And sitting here is doing absolutely nothing for me."

"Calla, stop," Rina commands.  "Sometimes life is filled with unknowns and sometimes you're not meant to know them.  Now let's go peel some vegetables for lunch.

I sigh.  Despite my irritable and irrational mood I follow her instruction.  She's right.  Somehow her steady and firm voice has calmed me down.  I wipe away tears that were forming on my cheeks.  As we walk back into the house, I think about how much she reminds me of my mother.  I make a mental note to call mom later.  She always seemed to know what to do whenever I was afraid or angry.

"Close your eyes, Calla," Rina says to me as she returns from the kitchen.  It has been an hour since my "episode" and I've calmed down considerably.

I hear the soft clink of a tin hit the table.  I open my eyes and see a warm pumpkin pie in front of me an the lovely scent fills my nostrils.  I started to cry again, the tears flowing quietly down my cheeks.

I hear a male voice.  "Mmm, smells good."  Champ has come out of no where.  My growling stomach tells me it's lunch time and he must be on his break.

"I'll leave you two along," Rina says respectively, heading outside.

"I can't believe I was able to accomplish this.  It's been a hard day," I say while I stand up and wipe my face.

"Yeah, mom told me.  All that mixing.  And waiting?"

"I'm not the most patient person.  I have to have things as quick as possible," I explain.

"As quick as possible," Champ repeats.  I take a step forward and look into his eyes.  They're bright and shining and looking warmly into my own confused blue ones.

My breath is racing and my body is practically curving in towards his.  I grab him and pull his mouth toward mine.  He's a bit shocked at first but quickly recovers.

We kiss deeply and passionately.  I am absolutely oblivious to nothing but Champagne.  Myrtle could be there taking pictures and shouting and I wouldn't even noticed.

"What, that was-" Champ starts to say.  "Well, I, er, have to get back to the bar.  It's low on staff at the moment."

"Don't worry, I don't take long," I say seductively.  I want him.  I want him now.

"I really don't have long.  Only six minutes."

"Six minutes is plenty of time for me," I whisper, leaning into him.  He supports me with his arms but doesn't make any further movements.

"We take things slower around here...," he says awkwardly.  We part and my face gets really hot.

I finally come to my senses.  "Oh right, sorry.  Uh, see you later.  I guess.  Will you be around tomorrow?"

"I should be.  So, I might possibly see you.  Tomorrow."

I laugh for the first time today.  "I guess."

"It was nice... seeing you today."

"You too."

"Talk to you later, Calla."

"Bye."

Goodness that was embarrassing.  What is with me today?

2 comments:

  1. My goodness Calla is getting bold!
    XD I loved Champ's reaction

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know right? I was waiting so long for their first kiss. :D

      Delete