"Our life is one open book full of pages. We laugh, we cry, we smile, we stumble, we stand, we fall, and we succeed. Every chapter defines who we really are."


I only got through generation 1 and part of 2. For the rest, check out my tumblr.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Generation 02, Chapter 16: Good-bye

I return to the city.  I've made up the excuse that I've got a doctor appointment.  Only Champ knows I'm here to "patch up my relationship" and even that's not the total truth.  I'm actually coming down to confront Rusty about what he did.

I manage to sneak into the building, convincing the security guards I'm there to cater to Rusty's going away party.

I run up the stairs to Rusty's office but it's empty.  As I walk out, I bump into Rusty.  Well, what a coincidence.

"Calla, is that you?" he asks innocently.

"You have me fired.  On purpose!" I start.

"What blasphemy are you talking about?"

"You know damn well what I'm talking about.  You used me!  You wrecked my career and watched me suffer because of it.  When???  When did you put that document on my desk???"

"If you really must know, I put it there on the 28th of May," he replies calmly.  His eyes are icy as he continues.  "Now, I'm going to have to have you ejected from the building if you do not leave now."

I take his warning seriously and walk out, hot and angry.  I think back to May 28th and thank the Lord for my eidetic memory.  And of course, he lied.  The 28th was the day that we were all attending a conference in Starlight Shores and Rusty had just come back from France.  He hadn't even been to the office.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

I go to my lonely apartment building and bump into Kar.  Fortunately, she is just the person I wanted to speak with.

"Kar?  Uh, may I speak to you?"

"Calla?  Is that you?"  She asks.

"I know this is unexpected and you probably don't want to see me but I have something serious to talk about.  Please just listen to what I have to say and I won't bother you again."

Kar contemplates for a second and finally says, "Go on."

For once I am happy that Kar lives in the same building as me.  It's very convenient and quick to get to my room and fall fast asleep in my messy apartment.  After our talk, I realize that she isn't as heartless as I had thought her to be.  She actually listened to what I had to say.  She promises to investigate and she will contact me tomorrow about any news.

The next morning, I wake up to the sight (and smell) of my apartment, which is in horrible condition.  It hasn't changed at all since I left but I never realize how dirty and plain it was before I left.  The clothes I have here are basically all suits and/or dark clothes.  I just throw on what I wore yesterday.

Of course, there's no food or cooking supplies in the kitchen so I quickly run out to the store and buy all the necessary kitchen staples as well as a good vacuum and some cleaning solution.  Then I get to work cleaning, dusting, and cooking some meals in my apartment.  Kar rings as I finish vacuuming.

"Hello?"

"Calla, I've spoken to a few people and I want you to too.  I need to know if you're available."

"Right, of course.  Yes, I'm available."

"Okay, meet in the Gainsboro office room at 8 tonight."

"Sure thing," I say and we hang up.  Hope rises in my chest.  They're could be offering me partnership.  I could get my job back!

After cleaning, I whip up some of the ingredients I bought and produce a beautiful plate of french toast.

Then I invite Ms. Rosado over to eat it with me.  She agrees confused and a bit wary.

"What brought this up, Calla?" She asks me as she sits down.

"I just wanted to thank you for watching out for me all those years and for taking my mail and packages"

She smiles and says it was no problem.  Then there's silence and finally she says, "You made this?"

"Yes, I've learned how to cook.  Please, take it.  It's a token of my thanks."
She just stares at it.

"Don't worry, it's not poisonous or anything," I chuckle.

She finally takes her fork and tastes a piece.

"You made this?  By hand?" She asks me again.

"Yes, I've learned a lot of new things while I was away."

"Where is it that you have been, my dear?"

"Just somewhere.  Somewhere different from here."

"Well, wherever it has been, it has transformed you.  You look so much healthier and.. and happy!"

"Thanks," I smile.  She thanks me again for the meal and after she leaves, I get ready to go to the office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


I arrive at the office in my usual lawyer attire.  It feels weird wearing such bland colors.  I wait outside of the meeting room while Kar, Blake, and the other partners discuss me situation.  During one of the breaks, Blake comes out and talks to me.  Before doing so, however, he takes out his phone and stares at it while he talks.  I've noticed that everyone seems to be addicted to their technology all the time.  Was I really like that?

"Calla!  Wow you look amazing.  Oh my God, and the way you figured out the thing with Rusty, I was shocked.  I knew you could never make a mistake."
What?

"No you didn't.  You specifically said that I had made errors and that I was unreliable.  Remember?"

"No, I said that other people said you had made errors."

I groan, "Fine, whatever.  It really makes no difference."

"Hey, where are you working now?  Hopefully not with any of our rivals," Blake grins.

"Oh no, of course not.  Uh, it's no one you'd know," I drift off.  "Alright, looks like the meeting is starting up again," I notice and he heads back in.

"We would like to offer you full equity partnership in the firm, starting immediately."

The words ring in my ears like heaven's song.

"Welcome back," Blake tells me.  I'm stunned.  I had been imagining this very moment but I have no idea how to react now that it has actually happened.
"Um, I actually haven't said it I'll accept the offer," I announce awkwardly.

"Excuse me?" Kar asks.

"Well, I'm flattered, really.  But... I've come to realize I didn't come here to get my job back.  I cam back to clear my name.  So I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to decline.  I've moved on to a job that I really enjoy."

They both stare at me as thought purple liquid is pouring out of my ears.

"Are you crazy?" Blake sputters.

"If it's a matter of salary we'll speak to the senior partner to wherever you've gone to.  Where are you now?"

"There isn't a senior partner.  Or a director."

"How can there not be?"  Kar asks horrified.

"I didn't say I was working as a lawyer," I say at last.

Now Kar and Blake have focused their attention on me.  "I'm working as... as a housekeeper."

"What do you mean?  Is this a new term I'm not familiar with?"

"No, I mean I'm a legit housekeeper.  I cook meals for my employers and wash their clothes," I explain slowly.

"You're... a housekeeper?" Kar repeats as though it's a foreign word.

"Yes, and I'm very happy with what I do.  I feel fulfilled and... alive.  So I'm sorry.  I'm going to have to decline your offer.  And uh, bye," I say and I walk out of the room, out the building, onto a train, and back to the world that I have grown love.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


I find Champ in the bar, cleaning up some glasses.  He sets them down and runs toward me.

"How was the trip?  Is it over?" He questions me eagerly, grasping my hands in his own.

"Yes, it's over," I smile and lean in towards him.  I feel content and happy.

It's over.

It's actually finally over.


No comments:

Post a Comment